Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Reflection on Topic Speech

I did not know that these speeches were being taped and it is actually a good thing because I would have been extremely nervous. Watching this video back, it is very hard to watch myself giving a speech especially becasue when I am giving a speech, I do not notice all the things little things that I am doing.




For starters, I have never given a speech that was not behind some form of a podium or without using a presentation of some sort (power point or a board). I noticed that I move my body too mcuh when I speaking. I shift back and forth on my legs and also move my hands with the words I am saying, which was distracting. I also said "like" way too much; I am actually embarrassed about how many times I used that word, but I feel if I would have prepared better for the speech, then I would have not used "like" as often or at all.




On a more positive note, I think that I had good voice projection and spoke clearly. I thought the content I presented was relevant as I touched on why my topic is imortant and also why it is important to me.

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection, Natalie. I'm sorry to hear that it would make you nervous to have known these were being recorded. Hopefully it won't make you more nervous as we do this in the future! I think it's a helpful tool for you all to watch yourselves, as painful as it is, because we often don't remember what happened. For all intents and purposes, the anxiety and adrenaline makes us black out. So this helps us see what actually happened and what we can improve on as well as what we did well. And know that you are your own harshest critic seeing this--everyone is.

    Your reflection gives a lot of good places where we can focus in on next week when we talk about delivery, although I'm not sure that all of the moving is as distracting as you think it is. It's more natural to be moving than completely still! So it's a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete